Its thats time of year when the local berries are in season and so is the lavender which is a perfect complement to the raspberries and blueberries.
- 2 tablespoons dried Serenity culinary lavender buds
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 cups blueberries, rinsed
- 4 cups raspberries, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1. In a blender, whirl lavender and tapioca until finely ground. Pour into a large bowl. Stir in 3/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon. Add blueberries, raspberries, and lemon juice; mix gently. Pour into a shallow 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish.
- 2. In a food processor or bowl, combine flour, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and butter. Whirl or rub in with your fingers until coarse crumbs form. Stir in almonds. Squeeze handfuls of the nut mixture together, then crumble into about 1/2-inch chunks over fruit mixture. Set dish on a foil-lined baking pan.
- 3. Bake in a 350° oven until juices are bubbling in the center and streusel is browned, 60 to 70 minutes. Cool on a rack at least 45 minutes. Serve warm or cool with vanilla or lavender ice cream